Thursday, October 23, 2014

 

The Hallo-Wiener Week!!


One of my all time favorite books to study with my students is The Hallo-Wiener, by Dav Pilkey!  This time last year, I was unable to be with my class while I was beginning chemotherapy and radiation for ovarian cancer.  I was so upset since I love fall in the classroom.  SOOOO-- I got right to my favorite book this week and my students have LOVED it.  


On Tuesday, we read the story and discussed the author's purpose.  We feel that Dav Pilkey wants us to learn about being good friends and not bully others.  
Here is one of our activities-- Text to Self Connections with the story!


On Wednesday, we re-read the book and made story maps whole group.  While I did Reading Circles, the kiddos got to choose a word chunking center using Oscar the dog puzzles and a pattern building center with some of Oscar's Halloween treats!  






This morning, we painted Oscar dogs to be ready for our "Story Elements" craftivity.  We used our story maps to fill in the story element cards.  


The finished bulletin board!


Tomorrow, we will make our class book! Since Oscar did not want to be a hot dog for Halloween, the kids get to choose and draw a costume that will make him happy!
 This is last year's class book.  My students this year love to read what costumes last year's class chose for Oscar.



Here is a link to my unit if you are at all interested in reading and using The Hallo-Wiener with your class.  I would LOVE to hear any other ideas that you may have or have used with this story.



3 comments: